Giovanni Sottile House, Charleston County, South Carolina
The Giovanni Sottile House is an early nineteenth century four-story brick masonry house that was remodeled in the Italianate and Italian Renaissance styles in 1867 and 1905, respectively. The house retains numerous high style architectural features from its Italianate and Italian Renaissance remodels, including parquet and marquetry wood flooring, decorative plaster, trim work, Italian marble mantelpieces, and stairs, making it an excellent example of residential Italianate and Italian Renaissance styles in Charleston, applied to the vernacular dwelling form known as the Charleston single house. Original early nineteenth century service stairs are intact toward the rear of house, and original pine flooring is extant in the upper floors of the house. The 1905 renovations occurred under the ownership of Giovanni Sottile, the Italian consular agent to Charleston who lived at the home from 1905 until his death in 1913. Sottile was an advocate for the Italian community of North Carolina and South Carolina and an active statesman who used the Sottile House to entertain Italian dignitaries and local politicians. The Sottile House, including its late eighteenth century outbuilding and early twentieth century fence, was previously listed in the National Register as a contributing property to the Charleston Historic District.
Listed in the National Register April 2019.
McCoy Farmstead District, Orangeburg County, South Carolina
McCoy Farmstead is a rural farming complex and dwelling site two miles from the town of Holly Hill in Orangeburg County. It is named for the McCoy family, who farmed the land for multiple generations with the help of tenant farmers. The McCoy Farmstead consists of a main house built circa 1875 and fourteen contributing buildings and structures erected between 1875 and 1900, with the exception of the flower house that was built in the 1930s. Agricultural fields surround the house on four sides. Across Boyer Road from the main house is a circa 1875 one-story wood frame schoolhouse that operated as the McCoy School in the late nineteenth century. McCoy Farmstead is significant for its agricultural, educational, and social history. The farm complex, especially Lula’s House (an extant tenant home) and the agricultural outbuildings, is associated with late 19th and early to mid-20th century agricultural practices, tenant farming, and domestic labor from c. 1875 to 1953. The McCoy Community Schoolhouse is significant in local education, as it served as a white school from c. 1875 to c. 1902. The main house is also significant for its architecture, as an example of a vernacular Queen Anne residence.
Listed in the National Register January 2019.